Last week on my flight home from Asia* I had a chance to fly on Cathay Pacific as opposed to my normal carrier, American Airlines. The flight from Hong Kong is over 12 hours so you have a lot of time to sit and think. Usually, there is nothing good to say after a long flight besides the fact its over.
Here are a few of the differences that I captured after this delightful flight:
- A huge amount of leg room for coach (from a guy who is 6’4)
- 150+ movies and TV shows to chose from, including the latest releases (usually only offered in first class)
- A menu (passed out upon boarding) of all the flight meals and your choices
- Real food (by far the best in-flight best meals I have ever had) served with your choice of free wine.
- Beverage options between meals (it is usually hard to find any of the flight staff if you need water/coffee)
And to top it off, an utterly ridiculous business class section that you have to see to believe.
So after this flight I have told this story to just about anyone who would listen – the sign of a great product. Cathay has definitely spent the time, energy, and thought to make their product talk-able (see baking it in) during a time when most airlines are cutting back on perks and charging for services that used to be free.
BTW – I am heading back to China next week and you will never guess what airline I am taking.
*Full disclosure – this was a work related flight so they did pay the bill but it was also the lowest cost, coach seat available at the time.