Our topic for the call was on the challenge of taking a product marketing or product management job in a new domain area. Scott and I both offered suggestions and tips on what has worked for us as you try to sift through the fire hose of new information.
I hope you enjoy the call and would love to hear your feedback!
You can listen here:
Runtime: 27 mins
- Starting from the product perspective – what’s it doing and for whom?
- Looking at the market by focusing on individuals
- The “T-shape” analysis – wide view on the market, deep dive on the problems
- How do the internal teams talk about their products – what’s the pitch?
- Is their alignment between the teams when it comes to the buyer needs?
- Capturing the domain specific terms of the company/industry
- Concept mapping tool recommendation – CmapTools
- Mind mapping tool recommendation – FreeMind(PC)
- Mind mapping tool recommendation – NetNewsWire
- Creating a list of influential competitors, analysts, bloggers to follow
- RSS feed tool recommendation – FeedDemon
- Turing your research into a repeatable process
- Knowledge collection tool – Evernote
- Building a model of the drivers of the business
- Organizational soft skills and Paul Young’s X-Factor presentation
- Don’t forget competitor analysis!