In this week’s edition of the Start with the Customer Product Marketing Podcast, I am honored to be joined by Tim Johnson, of It’s About Value, and Scott Sehlhorst, of Tyner Blain.
Our topic of the call was how to get a job in product marketing or product management. Tim and Scott both share their advice and experience on transitioning into the role and what they would look for when hiring now. We also touch on some of the expanding responsibility of a product marketer and the growing need for customer engagement.
You can listen here:
Runtime: 39 minutes
- How did I get into product marketing?
- Product marketing – “the fun of sales without the quota”
- Transitioning from sales – moving from thinking of one customer at a time to thinking about all customers
- Is a technology background a “must have” requirement for a product marketing or product management role?
- The marketing skill set and the strategic role of the product marketer
- Gary Vaynerchuk video on engagement:
- McKinsey article – We’re all marketers now
- What skills do you look for when interviewing a candidate for the role?